Thursday, June 24, 2010

Tie? Thai? Tai?

Today I was talking with my host sister's husband about the World Cup. He is a die-hard sports fan (looves American football) and his plan for the 3:30am Japan vs. Denmark game was to go to sleep at 9pm in order to watch it. It's the deciding game for Japan to advance to the next round (or as he called it Judgment Day), but I wasn't sure if they had to win or if a tie was okay too. (win = 3 points, tie = 1 point, loss  = 0 points, after 3 games top 2 teams from each group of 4 teams get to move on to next round)

So I asked out loud, "Tie okay?" Well, he understood and answered that either a tie or win would be fine. But the other people around the table had different interpretations of the word.

husband: tie (sports, same score)
host sister: Thailand
host mom/her friend: tai fish (鯛 like taiyaki "tai")

It was funny to see their faces when I said "tie" during soccer talk. And the generation gap.

面白い

1 comment: