Friday, March 26, 2010

Home! 日本の家族

Moved in with my host family yesterday. It was very nerve wrecking for just about everyone meeting their family. They called us in to a room in small groups, matched us up, and left us to talk. Tons of anticipation and excitement! I am living with a widowed mother, her daughter, and newborn granddaughter (2 months)! The area is Takasago, Katsushika-ku, Tokyo (Somewhere in Katsushika is where Nino of Arashi is from!). It has been pretty cold here plus the past two days were also very rainy. The cool thing is that the floor in the dining room is heated so your feet are able to stay warm. Okaa-san also gave me a hot thermos bottle that kept my bed warm the entire night! It's still a little warm now - 18 hours later.

Today I went to a nearby mall with my "older sister" Mika. It was a nice walk through the neighborhood and the mall itself is huge! I thought it was funny that one of the clothing stores was blasting English contemporary Christian music. There is a ton of food and a variety of stores so I will definitely be back when I have free time. One of the upper floors has a movie theater so if anything exciting comes out I can go watch it (Liar Game? Ironman 2?).

I get unlimited texting on my phone so you can "text" me through email at kendow@softbank.ne.jp

                          Desk                                      Bunny in bed next to the warming pouch

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Your new home looks great!!! Bunny looks really happy to be there. And you get to live with a baby!!!! Freak out! :)

    Oh my gosh Kate I have some potential freak out news for you too! So remember how my sister was supposed to get an ultrasound soon? Well her insurance is being dumb so she hasn't had it yet, but her doctor wanted to check up on the baby a bit anyway, so she decided to check the heartbeat. While she was checking it, she was making some faces and my sister got worried, but then she asked, "is there by any chance any history of twins in the family?" Well my mom heard the word "twins" and freaked out, and said that she herself was a twin! Well the doctor told them not to get their hopes up, because that may not mean anything and they won't be sure of anything till my sister gets the ultrasound. but the possibility of twins is growing!!!!


    Ahh so much excitement! Also, Audrey is super whiny in the mornings now.I think its because she misses having you in the living room with her. :( We miss you tons! Last night we watched infomercials and it just wasn't the same!

    But I am super excited to hear more about your new life in Japan! It sounds like your host family is amazing!
    Love you, Katelyn!!! Bye bye!!!

    Oh wait, so do we "text" from our phone or email?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kateryn!!!

    What a nice room! You're living in the lap of luxury... :) :)

    I can't wait to hear more about your adventures!!!
    Guess what!!!
    I went home over break and fed my family Japanese Curry (There are Asian markets in Seattle too!)
    It was really tasty, but kinda runny. How do you make yours not runny?
    :(

    Oh well!

    I miss you!!!!

    ReplyDelete